Tomato, Avocado and Watermelon Summer Salad
by Natures Garden | Other recipes by this author
Instead of mixing up that same green salad for dinner, try this colorful combination of tomatoes, avocado and watermelon. Granted, the combination appears a bit off kilter but you'll be pleasantly surprised how well these produce stars bring out the best of each player. Adding a sprinkle of feta cheese brings a touch of saltiness to the party. Make this salad at the peak of summer when all the ingredients have the brightest, most intense flavors.
- 3 or 4 small to medium Wholesum Family Farms Vine Ripe or any type of heirloom tomatoes, cut into 3/4 inch chunks, OR 8 to 10 Lady Moon Farms Grape,Cherry, or Rainbow Cherry tomatoes OR 8 to 10 grape or cherry heirloom tomatoes in assorted colors
- 1 small English, M&M Plant Farms Field cucumber, or Wholesum Family Farms Slicing cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup yellow or red seedless watermelon flesh, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp chopped mixed fresh herbs of choice; basil, tarragon, chives, and cilantro work well
- 1/4 tsp coriander seed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Crumbled Capra Gia Persian Style Feta cheese, optional
Prep Time: 30min Cook Time: 15min Level: Easy
- Gently toss together the tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, avocado, and herbs.
- Grind the coriander seeds to a fine powder in a spice or coffee grinder or mortar and peste.
- Add the ground coriander to the salad ingredients and lightly toss.
- Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste together in a small bowl.
- Pour over the salad and toss evenly.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and if desired, sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Serve immediately.